For children at home
Jolly Phonics Extra is ideal for learning to read English at home, and to get ahead. This is especially so if English is not the child’s first language. This is because:
- The talking pen models each letter sound for the child, and models blending for reading (so sh-ee-p makes sheep). Some of the relationships between letters and sounds are different in English from other languages. This helps your child get them right, from early on. Your child will be amazed, and motivated, by the talking pen!
- The text is given twice, the second time in a phonically regular form. This overcomes the spelling irregularities of English. With the second text, your child is given a way to sound out and blend each word, so they do not need to get stuck in reading new words.
- The core methodology in Jolly Phonics (synthetic phonics) is recognised as being essential for children learning to read. Rather than just being taught the alphabet, and to memorise words, children learn all the letter sounds of English, and how to use them to read new words.
Jolly Phonics Extra comes in a ‘personal edition’ kit containing:
- Talking pen (and screwdriver for when replacing the two AAA batteries)
- Letter Sounds book
- Flash Cards, 69 in total
- Readers, Level 1 (red), 18 different titles
- Readers, Level 2 (red), 18 different titles
- Readers, Level 3 (red), 18 different titles
Vocabulary is also developed, as the talking pen names many objects in pictures when they are touched. The talking pen responds to all the books and flashcards.
For children starting school
Jolly Phonics Extra is excellent for children starting school. It extends the regular use of Jolly Phonics:
- Children readily learn the 12 new symbols, which helps them understand they are separate sounds. They understand that these new symbols, and the extra text, is just to help them. They use them to read new words that are difficult. They also know not to write with the new symbols.
- Children like using the talking pen together, in break times. They like to test each other, and use the pen to give the answer.